Saturday, April 4, 2009

An Assignment

As has been par-for-my-course lately, I'm down to the wire with my blog. Since this is the last one for this class, I have been a little stumped about what to write. Luckily, I finally had a eureka moment while driving back home a few minutes ago. In the midst of my confusion about this blog, I suddenly heard Bonnie Rait singing 'Let's Give 'Em Something To Talk About'. Well, if that's not clarity, then I don't know what is!

So here's my answer to her ruling. It's an assignment that goes a little something like this. I want each of you to set aside an hour each week that's dedicated to only dreaming, reflecting, and relaxing. I don't care if you only dream about the little red fire truck you played with everyday as a child. The point is to keep the mind open to positive ideas. Everyday, increasing levels of negative news is broadcast to us about the bleak outlook facing the world. I challenge each of you to create a center of joy within yourself, just for those days when things may seem a little bit crazier than usual. Visit that place often; write about it (we know how now). Whatever your route to that special place is, start making the trek often. Just like any path, the more often you venture down it, the more familiar and easier the journey becomes.

So, now that you have the idea proposed, I hope to hear that some ice tea glasses, lawn chairs, and journals will be posted for relaxation duty! Try to dream in color people; however, in hard times, black-and-white will do. The point is to just keep dreaming no matter what; dreaming helps you keep your eyes focused on the beauty of the future.

Before I close, I want to leave you with one of my favorite poems. I've loved this piece since I was small. It's simple, yet powerful, in my opinion. I hope you enjoy it as well.

Dreams

Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken winged bird
That cannot fly.

Hold fast to dreams
For when dreams go
Life is a barren field
Frozen with snow.

Langston Hughes




Be Blessed,

Kharamel

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the poem. I love Langston Hughes!

    My problem is, if I start to daydream, I don't want to stop. Same with writing poems. I don't want to work when I can write poems!

    Lovely blog!

    K. Smith
    Eng. 226

    ReplyDelete