Saturday, February 28, 2009

Ouch!!!

My cousin called me a few minutes ago wondering where my blog post was for this week. Boy am I glad she did. I've been in bed suffering with a migraine since yesterday afternoon, although I did manage to scramble out for a couple hours this morning, with the help of some heavy pain medication. The only problem was that it only lasted about two hours. Needless to say, I drove myself home almost in tears.

I really don't know why these monster headaches have decided to descend upon my family and I. My brother has them so bad that his aura makes him have personality changes. His actual headaches are almost painful to watch. Even my son is now beginning to go through the motions. Guess it's time to go and buy him his first pair of "cave" curtains. I'm talking about the type that block most of the light from entering the room. They're crucial for those times when you literally wake up with what I call "vampire light syndrome". On those days, I know I'm in trouble because I can't even stand a glimmer of light even before the pain sets in.

Today I got caught up in the frenzy of the moment, as I tried to accomplish as much as I could in the short time I had available to me before the pain flood gates reopened. As I sat in my meeting working through details for an upcoming project, Hurricane Katrina #2 resumed in my head without warning. As much as I enjoyed what I was doing, I thanked God for the close of everything. As I stepped onto the elevator that would take me down to the lobby, I couldn't help but note the somewhat inverse relationship between it and my situation. My pain was rapidly rising in my head, which was at the top of my body. The elevator, however, would rapidly lower my pain racked body from the top floor of the building to the lobby so that I could get to my car, go home, get back into my cave, and try to ride out the pain until this migraine decides to let up on me for this time.

The pain is stubborn this time. It won't go anywhere. I'm still lying here in my "cave", waiting for it to depart. These headaches have been with me for so long that I almost feel as though the pain is somehow personified. Maybe if I ask it in the right manner to leave me alone, it will. I don't know; I'm desperate. Maybe one of those old childhood songs will work:

Pain, pain
Go away
Don't come again
Another day!!

Nope, didn't work. Still hurts. Guess I'll just have to pray and keep trying the medication.

Be Blessed!!

Kharamel

2 comments:

  1. Talk to your doctor about a change in your diet. My sister suffers from them, and she has to watch what she eats and drinks.

    K. Smith
    Eng. 226

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luckily I have never had to deal with migraines. But my ex-girlfriend had em all the time and I have seen what they can do. It can take a strong person and just drop them to their knees and they want to retreat to the bed for the rest of the day. I would go see the doc to see what you can do naturally for it, but I always think not taking meds is the best.

    ReplyDelete